Eileen M. Van Aken
Scopus ID: 160331-006579
Main Area: Management Systems Engineering
- Performance measurement and management systems
- Improvement system design and implementation
- Organizational assessment
- Lean work systems
- Collaborative work systems
- Ph.D., Industrial and Systems Engineering, Virginia Tech, 1995
- M.S., Industrial and Systems Engineering, Virginia Tech, 1991
- B.S., Industrial Engineering and Operations Research, Virginia Tech, 1988
- ISE 5015 Management of Change, Innovation, and Performance in Organizational Systems I
- ISE 5016 Management of Change, Innovation, and Performance in Organizational Systems II
- ISE 4015 Management Systems Theory, Analysis, and Design
- ISE 4004 Theory of Organization
- ISE 4984 Organizational Performance Measurement Systems
Please click a title in brown to view the abstract. Students are indicated with *.
- Liu, W.H.*, Asio, S.*, Cross J.F., Van Aken, E.M., and Glover, W. (2015). Understanding team mental models affecting Kaizen event success, Team Performance Management: An International Journal, Vol. 21, Issue 7/8, 361-385.
- Glover, W.J.*, Farris, J.A., and Van Aken, E.M. (2015). The relationship between continuous improvement and rapid improvement sustainability, International Journal of Production Research, Vol.53, No. 13, 4068-4086, doi: 10.1080/00207543.2014.991841.
- Sahin, A., Terpenny, J.A., Orfi, N., and Van Aken, E.M. (2014). A structured approach to platform-driven product planning, Engineering Management Journal, Vol. 26, No. 2, 10-23, doi: 10.1080/10429247.2014.11432007.
- Glover, W.J.*, Farris, J.A., and Van Aken, E.M. (2014). Kaizen events: Assessing the existing literature and convergence of practices, Engineering Management Journal, Vol. 26, No. 1, 39-61, doi: 10.1080/10429247.2014.11432003.
- Basole, R.C., Bellamy, M., Clear, T., Dabkowski, M., Monreal, J., Park, H., Valerdi, R., and Van Aken, E.M. (2013). Challenges and opportunities for enterprise transformation research, Journal of Enterprise Transformation, Vol. 3, No. 4, 330-352, doi: 10.1080/19488289.2013.861704.
- Di Schiena, R., Letens, G., Van Aken, E.M., and Farris, J.A. (2013). Relationship between leadership and characteristics of learning organizations in deployed military units: An exploratory study, Administrative Sciences, Vol. 3, No. 3, 143-165, doi: 10.3390/admsci3030143.
- Glover, W.J.*, Farris, J.A., Van Aken, E.M., and Doolen, T.L. (2013). Kaizen event result sustainability for lean enterprise transformation, Journal of Enterprise Transformation, Vol. 3, No. 3, 136-160. doi: 10.1080/19488289.2013.818596.
- Glover, W.J.*, Liu, W.H.*, Farris, J.A., and Van Aken, E.M. (2013). Characteristics of established Kaizen event programs: An empirical study, International Journal of Operations and Production Management, Vol. 33, No. 9, 1166-1201, doi: 10.1108/IJOPM-03-2011-0119.
- Glover, W.J.*, Farris, J.A., Van Aken, E.M., and Doolen, T.L. (2011). Critical success factors for the sustainability of Kaizen event human resource outcomes: An empirical study, International Journal of Production Economics, Vol. 132, No. 2, 197-213, doi: 10.1016/j.ijpe.2011.04.005.
- Farris, J.A.*, Van Aken, E.M., Letens, G., Chearskul, P.*, and Coleman, G.D. (2011). Improving the performance review process: A structured approach and case application, International Journal of Operations and Production Management, Vol. 31, No. 4, 376-404, doi: 10.1108/01443571111119524.
- Letens, G., Farris, J.A., and Van Aken, E.M. (2011). A multilevel framework for lean product development system design, Engineering Management Journal, Vol. 23, No. 1, 69-85, doi: 10.1080/10429247.2011.11431887.
- Farris, J.A.*, Van Aken, E.M., Doolen, T.L. and Worley, J.M.* (2009). Critical success factors for human resource outcomes in Kaizen events: An empirical study, International Journal of Production Economics, Vol. 117, No. 1, 42-65, doi: 10.1016/j.ijpe.2008.08.051.
- Principal Investigator, Learning Organizations in High-Risk Environments: The Role of Leadership and Performance Measurement, Sponsor: Belgian Armed Forces.
- Principal Investigator, Collaborative Research: Determinants of Kaizen Event Success and Sustainability; Sponsor: National Science Foundation.
- Principal Investigator, Longitudinal Analysis of Customer Satisfaction Results for ITT Industries; Sponsor: ITT Industries.
- Principal Investigator, Assessment, Analysis, and Improvement of Danaher Enterprise Processes; Sponsor: Danaher.
- Co-Principal Investigator, Woods to Goods: Creating a Web-Based Forest Industry Community to Promote Sustainable and Competitive Forest-to-Consumer Value Streams; Sponsor: USDA Forest Service.
- Principal Investigator, Assessment, Improvement, and Redesign of Enterprise Performance Measurement and Improvement Practices; Sponsor: AT&T Billing Operations.
- Editor, Engineering Management Journal, May 2012-present.
- Associate Editor, Journal of Enterprise Transformation, 2010-present.
- Editorial Board Member, International Journal of Productivity and Performance Management, 2005-present.
- Technical Vice President and Member of Technical Operations Board, Institute of Industrial Engineers, (2012-15).
- ABET Evaluator, 2006-present.
- U.S. Senate Productivity and Quality Award for Virginia, Chair (2002-2004), Vice - Chair (2001-2), Board Member (2000-2005), and Examiner (1998-2000).
- Fellow (2014), Institute of Industrial and Systems Engineers (IISE), 1986-present.
- Fellow (2010), American Society of Engineering Management (ASEM), 2002-present.
- Fellow (2001), World Academy of Productivity Sciences.
- Member, American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE), 1992-present.
- Senior Member, American Society for Quality (ASQ), 1991-present.
ISE Faculty and Staff recognized for combined 180 years of service (June 2017)
Eileen Van Aken named interim department head of industrial and systems engineering (June 2016)
ISE undergraduate program presentations and exhibit at Engineering Open House (April 2016)
Dr. Eileen Van Aken will be the keynote speaker at the Lean Government Conference (February 2016)
Engineering faculty receive dean’s awards for excellence (May 2015)
Joyce Vest receives 2011 Provost Award for Excellence in Advising (April 2011)
American Society for Engineering Management names Eileen Van Aken as Fellow (October 2010)
ISE wins Exemplary Department Award for undergraduate advising (April 2007)