G. Don Taylor
Dr. Taylor’s research interests focus on the simulation of complex systems and the logistics of material flow and freight transportation. He has served as Principal Investigator or Co-Principal Investigator on more than 60 externally funded projects. His research has led to the publication of 10 edited books, more than 75 journal articles and book chapters, and more than 120 conference papers and technical reports.
Prof. Taylor has made more than 200 formal presentations at conferences or seminars and has had research relationships with more than 50 different companies. He is a Fellow and a Past-President and Member of the Board of Trustees of the Institute of Industrial and Systems Engineers (IISE). He is currently Chairperson of the Board of IISE Solutions, Inc. He is also a Fellow and Member of the Board of the World Academy of Productivity Science, and is a registered Professional Engineer.
Main Area: Management Systems Engineering, Operations Research
- Production systems
- Simulation and optimization
- Ph.D., University of Massachusetts, 1990
- M.S., University of Texas at Arlington, 1985
- B.S., University of Texas at Arlington, 1983
- ISE 5024 Graduate Seminar
- Taylor, G.D., and Whicker, G.L. (2010), “Extended regional dispatch for truckload carriers,” International Journal of Physical Distribution and Logistics Management, Vol. 40, No. 6, pp. 495-515.
- Drosos, D.J., DePuy, G.W., Taylor, G.D., and Whyte, T.C. (2009), “Clustering techniques for barge to boat assignment”, International Journal of Industrial Engineering, Vol. 16, No. 2, pp. 71-81.
- Taylor, G.D., Whicker, G.L., and DuCote, W.G. (2009), “Design and analysis of delivery ‘Pipelines’ in truckload trucking,” Transportation Research: Part E, Vol. 45, No. 1, pp. 255-269.
- Taylor, G.D. (2009) Editor, Introduction to Logistics Engineering, CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL.
- Taylor, G.D., Love, D.M., Stone, J., and Weaver, M.W. (2008), “Determining inventory service support levels in multi-national companies, International Journal of Production Economics, Vol. 116, No. 1, pp. 1-11.
- Fellow and a Past-President, Institute of Industrial and Systems Engineers.
- Fellow and Member of the Board of the World Academy of Productivity Science.
- Member, American Society for Engineering Education.
- Member, Institute for Operations Research and the Management Sciences.
- Member, International Council on Systems Engineering.
ISE undergraduate program presentations and exhibit at Engineering Open House (April 2016)
Don Taylor to be interim dean of College of Engineering (February 2016)
Don Taylor to receive University of Massachusetts Amherst Outstanding Alumni Award (September 2015)
Engineering Faculty Receive Dean’s Awards for Excellence (April 2013)
G. Don Taylor named the Charles O. Gordon Professor (August 2004)