Zhenyu "James" Kong
Main Area: Manufacturing Systems Engineering
- Sensing and analytics for smart manufacturing
- Modeling, synthesis, and diagnosis for large and complex manufacturing systems
- Data mining and machine learning for manufacturing and service applications
- Ph.D., Industrial and Systems Engineering, University of Wisconsin-Madison, 2004
- M.S., Mechanical Engineering, Harbin Institute of Technology, China, 1995
- B.S., Mechanical Engineering, Harbin Institute of Technology, China, 1993
- Associate Professor, Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering, Virginia Tech, 08/2013 – present.
- Associate Professor, School of Industrial Engineering and Management, Oklahoma State University, 07/2012 – 08/2013.
- Assistant Professor, School of Industrial Engineering and Management, Oklahoma State University, 08/2006 - 06/2012.
- Senior Research Engineer, Dimensional Control Systems, Troy, Michigan, 07/2004 - 07/2006.
- Research Assistant, University of Wisconsin-Madison, 09/2000 - 07/2004.
- Research Fellow, University of Michigan-Ann Arbor, 11/1998 - 09/2000.
- ISE 3214: Facilities and Logistics
- ISE 6284: Advanced Topics in Manufacturing Systems Engineering
- ISE 5984: Sensing and Data Analytics for Complex Systems
- ISE 4984: Data Analytics in Manufacturing and Service Systems
- ISE 2214: Manufacturing Process Laboratory
- ISE 4404: Statistical Quality Control
- ISE 4264: Industrial Automation
Please click a title in brown to view the abstract.
- Liu, C., Kapoor, A., VanOsdol, J., Ektate, K., Kong, Z.J., Ranjan, A., 2018, “A Spectral Fiedler Field-based Contrast Platform for Imaging of Nanoparticles in Colon Tumor,” Scientific Reports (accepted).
- Trivedi, M., Jee, J., Silva, S., Blomgren, C., Pontinha, V.M., Dixon, D.L., Van Tassel, B., Bortner, M.J., Williams, C., Gilmer, E., Haring, A.P., Halper, J., Johnson, B.N., Kong, Z.J., Halquist, M.S., Rocheleau, P.F., Long, T.E., Roper, T., and Wijesinghe, D.S., 2018, “Additive manufacturing of pharmaceuticals for precision medicine applications: A review of the promises and perils in implementation,” Additive Manufacturing (in press).
- Liu, J., Liu, C., Bai, Y., Rao, P., Kong, Z.J., and Williams, C., 2018, “Layer-wise Spatial Modeling of Porosity in Additive Manufacturing,” IISE Transactions (accepted).
- Liu, J.P., Jin, R. and Kong, Z. 2018, "Wafer quality monitoring using spatial Dirichlet process based mixed-effect profile modeling scheme," Journal of Manufacturing Systems, Vol. 48, Part A, pp. 21-32.
- Sun, H., Rao, P., Kong, Z., Deng, X., and Jin, R., 2017, “Functional Quantitative and Qualitative Models for Quality Modeling in a Fused Deposition Modeling Process,” IEEE Trans. Journal of Automation Science and Engineering, Vol. 15, No. 1, pp. 393-403.
- Office of Naval Research
- Department of Energy/Clean Energy Smart Manufacturing Innovation Institute
- National Science Foundation
- Department of Transportation
- National Institute of Standards and Technology
- Commonwealth Center for Advanced Manufacturing
- Member of Institute of Industrial and Systems Engineers (IISE)
- Member of Institute for Operation Research and the Management Sciences (INFORMS)
- Member of American Society of Mechanical Engineering (ASME)
- Member of Society of Manufacturing Engineers (SME)
- Member of Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
- APM Outstanding Faculty Award, Grado Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering, Virginia Tech, Spring 2018.
- Best Paper Award, IISE Transactions (Quality & Reliability Engineering), 2018 (paper J13 in Sec. VII).
- Best Paper award, Quality Statistics and Reliability (QSR) Section, INFORMS Annual Meeting, Houston, TX, USA, October 22-25, 2017 (paper C2 in Sec. VII).
- Best Paper award, Quality Statistics and Reliability (QSR) Section, INFORMS Annual Meeting, Houston, TX, USA, October 22-25, 2017.
- Paper titled "Images Based Online Closed Loop Quality Control for Additive Manufacturing Process" won Best Paper award, Division of Quality Control and Reliability Engineering, IISE Annual Research Conference, Pittsburgh, PA, USA, May 21-23, 2017.
- Paper titled “A Graph Theoretic Approach for Quantification of Surface Morphology and its Application to Chemical Mechanical Planarization (CMP) Process” (IISE Trans., Vol. 47. No. 10, pp. 1088-1111) selected for Best Applications Paper Honorable Mention designation in the IISE Transactions Forcus Issue on Quality and Reliability Engineering Best Paper Award Competition for 2017.
- Paper titled “Compressive sensing based optimal sensor placement and fault diagnosis for multistation assembly processes” (IISE Trans., Vol. 48, No., 5, pp. 462-474) selected for Best Applications Paper Honorable Mention designation in the IISE Transactions Focus Issue on Design and Manufacturing Best Paper Award Competion for 2017.
- Paper titled “High-dimensional Process Monitoring and Change Point Detection using Embedding Distribution in Reproducing Kernel Hilbert Space (RKHS)” (IISE Trans, Vol. 46, No. 10, pp. 999-1016) selected for Best Applications Paper Honorable Mention designation in the IISE Transactions Focus Issue on Quality and Reliability Engineering Best Paper Award Competition for 2015.
- Halliburton Outstanding Faculty Award, College of Engineering, Architecture and Technology, Oklahoma State University, 2013
- Richard S and Harriet K. Fein Scholarship, the University of Wisconsin-Madison, 2004
With seed funding, faculty build new research partnerships (January 2018)
ISE faculty and students receive multiple awards at INFORMS Annual Meeting (October 2017)
Drs. Navid Ghaffarzadegan and Divya Srinivasan receive ISCE Scholars Awards (August 2017)
Dr. James Kong and his Students Receive Multiple Paper Awards at IISE Annual Conference (May 2017)
2017 Senior Design Award winning teams recognized (May 2017)
Dr. James Kong as Co-Chair of ISERC at 2016 IIE Annual Conference & Expo (March 2016)
Kaveh Bastani was Finalist for QSR Best Student Paper Award at INFORMS 2015 (November 2015)
123 Durham Hall
1145 Perry Street
Blacksburg, VA 24061