Dr. Hyungil Kim
- Human Factors and Ergonomics in Augmented Reality
- Human depth/color perception, visual attention, situation awareness, workload and task performance while interacting with AR applications
- Methods for the analysis, design, prototyping, and evaluation of augmented reality interfaces for vehicle drivers with an emphasis on human-environment interaction
- Ph.D. in Industrial & Systems Engineering, Virginia Tech, 2017
- M.E. in Mechanical Engineering, Korea University, Seoul, Korea, 2000
- B.E. in Mechanical Engineering, Korea University, Seoul, Korea, 1998
- Research Scientist, Industrial and Systems Engineering, Virginia Tech, 2018 - present
- Research Intern, Honda Research Institute USA, Mountain View, CA, 2014 - 2015
- Engineering Group Manager, General Motors, Korea, 2006 - 2012
- Black Belt in Design for Six Sigma, General Motors, 2009
- Senior Researcher, LG Electronics Productivity Research Institute, Korea, 2001 - 2006
- Human Factors and Ergonomics Society (HFES)
- Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE)
- Center for Human Computer Interaction at Virginia Tech
- Kim, H., Gabbard, J. L., Miranda Anon, A., & Misu, T. (2017). Driver Behavior and Performance with Augmented Reality Pedestrian Collision Warning. An Outdoor User Study. IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics, Accepted.
- Merenda, C., Kim, H., Gabbard, J. L., Leong, S., Large, D. R., & Burnett, G. (2017). Did You See Me? Assessing Perceptual vs. Real Driving Gains Across Multi-Modal Pedestrian Alert Systems. In Proceedings of the 9th International Conference on Automotive User Interfaces and Interactive Vehicular Applications (pp. 40-49). ACM. Honorable Mention
- Kim, H., Isleib, J.D., & Gabbard, J. L. (2016). Virtual Shadow: Making Cross Traffic Dynamics Visible through Augmented Reality Head Up Display. In Proceedings of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society Annual Meeting (Vol. 60, No. 1, pp. 2093-2097). SAGE Publications. Dieter W. Jahns Student Practitioner Award.
- Rane, P., Kim, H., Marcano, J.L., & Gabbard, J. L. (2016). Virtual Road Signs: Augmented Reality Driving Aid for Novice Drivers. In Proceedings of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society Annual Meeting (Vol. 60, No. 1, pp. 1750-1754). SAGE Publications.
- Kim, H., Isleib, J. D., & Gabbard, J. L. (2016). Casting shadows: Ecological interface design for augmented reality pedestrian collision warning. In 2016 IEEE Virtual Reality (VR) (pp. 205-206). IEEE.
- Kim, H., Miranda Anon, A., Misu, T., Li, N., Tawari, A., & Fujimura, K. (2016). Look at Me: Augmented Reality Pedestrian Warning System Using an In-Vehicle Volumetric Head Up Display. In Proceedings of the 21st International Conference on Intelligent User Interfaces (pp. 294-298). ACM.
- Gabbard, J. L., Fitch, G. M., & Kim, H. (2014). Behind the glass: driver challenges and opportunities for AR automotive applications. Proceedings of the IEEE, 102(2), 124-136.
- Kim, H., Wu, X., Gabbard, J. L., & Polys, N. F. (2013, October). Exploring head-up augmented reality interfaces for crash warning systems. In Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Automotive User Interfaces and Interactive Vehicular Applications (pp. 224-227). ACM.
- Kwon, Y., Kim, K. H., Son, C. K., & Kim, H. (2012). Improvement of Passenger Airbag Based on the Injury Assessment of the 5th Percentile Female Dummy. Transactions of the Korean Society of Automotive Engineers, 20(5), 1-7.
- Kim, Y. B., Kim, H. J., Han, J. N., Kim, H., & Chae, S. W. (2012). The Optimization of Passenger Seat Belt Design for Female Passenger. Transactions of the Korean Society of Automotive Engineers, 20(4), 10-15.
- 2017, Honorable Mention, ACM AutomotiveUI, Association for Computing Machinery
- 2017, 3rd Place, Paul E. Torgersen Graduate Student Research Excellence Award, Virginia Tech
- 2016, Dieter W. Jahns Student Practitioner Award, Foundation for Professional Ergonomics
- 2016, The White Graduate Teaching Assistantship, Virginia Tech
- 2016, Who's Who in America, Marquis Who's Who Publications
- 2014-2015, UPS Fellowship, United Parcel Service
- 2014, KSEA-KUSCO Scholarship, Korea-US Science Cooperation
- 2013, The President of Korean Student Association, Virginia Tech
- 2010, Best Engineer, GM Korea Vehicle Engineering Center
Hyungil Kim’s poster presentation earns 3rd place in Torgersen Graduate Research Award (May 2017)
Hyungil Kim won 2016 Dieter W. Jahns Student Practitioner Award from Foundation for Professional Ergonomics (August 2016)
- 545 Whittemore Hall