Navid's research interests include systems sciences and applications of system dynamics modeling in various managerial and policy contexts such as service enterprises, higher education, science policy, and health policy. His research has been supported by various organizations such as NIH, and corporates such as Dell, Inc. Navid is currently the Associate Editor of the System Dynamics Review. He is the winner of various awards including the College of Engineering’s excellence award for outstanding new Assistant Professors. Prior to joining Virginia Tech, Navid was a postdoctoral researcher at MIT, Engineering Systems Division.
Main Area: Management Systems Engineering
- System Dynamics
- Socio-technical Systems
- Policy Analysis
- Policy Informatics
- Ph.D., Public Policy (System Dynamics), State University of New York at Albany, 2011
- M.B.A., Management (System Dynamics), Sharif University of Technology, 2005
- B.S., Mechanical Engineering, Sharif University of Technology, 2001
- Associate Professor, Industrial & Systems Engineering, Virginia Tech, 2018 - present
- Assistant Professor, Industrial & Systems Engineering, Virginia Tech, 2013 - 2018
- Postdoctoral Associate/Researcher, Engineering Systems Division, MIT, 2012 - 2013
- Productivity Data Analysis for Science Workforce Modeling. Sponsor: NIH. Role: Co-I. Share: $183K. June 2016 - May 2018.
- System Dynamics Modeling of Market Growth for the SupportAssist Program at Dell. Sponsor: Dell, Inc. Role: PI. Share: $240K. January 2016 - December 2017.
- A Model-Based Examination of Behavioral & Social Science Workforce: Improving Health Outcomes. Sponsor: NIH. Role: Co-I. Share: $543K. February 2015 - January 2019.
- System Dynamics Modeling for Understanding Complexities of Post-Traumatic Stress. Role: Co-I. Share: $134K. January 2014 - September 2015.
Please click a title to view the abstract.
- Ghaffarzadegan, N., Ebrahimvandi, A., and Jalali, M. 2016. A Dynamic Model of PostTraumatic Stress Disorder for Military Personnel and Veterans. PLoS ONE 11(10), e0161405.
- Hur, H., Ghaffarzadegan, N., Hawley, J. (2015) Effects of Government Spending on Research Workforce Development: Evidence from Biomedical Postdoctoral Researchers. PLoS ONE 10(5): e0124928.
- Ghaffarzadegan, N., Hawley, J., Larson, R.C., and Xue, Y. (2015). A Note on PhD Population Growth in Biomedical Sciences. Systems Research and Behavioral Science 32(3): 402-405.
- Larson, RC, Ghaffarzadegan, N., Xue, Y. (2014). Too Many PhD Graduates or Too Few Academic Job Openings: The Concept of R0 in Academia. Systems Research and Behavioral Science, 31(6): 745-750.
- Ghaffarzadegan, N., Hawley, J., Desai, A. (2014). Research Workforce Diversity: The Case of Balancing National vs. International Postdocs in U.S. Biomedical Research. Systems Research and Behavioral Science, 31(2): 301-315.
- Ghaffarzadegan, N., Epstein, AJ, Martin, EG. (2013). Practice Variation, Bias, and Experiential Learning in Cesarean Delivery: A Data-Based System Dynamics Approach. Health Services Research, 48: 713–734.
- Ghaffarzadegan, N., Lyneis, J., Richardson, G.P. (2011). How Small System Dynamics Models Can Help the Public Policy Process. System Dynamics Review, 27(1): 22-44.
- ISE 4984, System Dynamics and Systems Thinking
- ENGR 5104, Applied Systems Engineering: System Dynamics
- ISE 5015, Management of Change, Innovation, and Performance in Organizational Systems I
- System Dynamics Society
- Institute for Operations Research and the Management Sciences (INFORMS)
NIH website features study by Arash Baghaei Lakeh and Navid Ghaffarzadegan (August 2017)
Drs. Navid Ghaffarzadegan and Divya Srinivasan receive ISCE Scholars Awards (August 2017)
Arash Baghaei Lakeh and Alba Rojas-Cordova win student paper awards at International System Dynamics Conference (July 2017)
Systems Thinking Workshop for the Global Suppliers of Reproductive Health for Low-Income Countries (May 2017)
Dr. Navid Ghaffarzadegan's paper featured in New York Times (July 2016)
Navid Ghaffarzadegan and Kimberly Ellis received COE Dean’s Awards for Excellence (May 2016)
Dr. Navid Ghaffarzadegan appointed as Associate Editor of System Dynamics Review (February 2016)
Five ISE Ph.D. Students received Best Paper and Honorable Mention Awards at the International System Dynamics Conference (July 2015)
Virginia Tech-Northern Virginia Center, Rm 430
7054 Haycock Road,
Falls Church, VA 22043