Hanif D. Sherali
Analyzing problems and designing algorithms for specially structured linear, nonlinear, and integer programs arising in various applications, global optimization methods for nonconvex programming problems, location and transportation theory and applications, economic and energy mathematical modeling and analysis.
- Ph.D., Georgia Institute of Technology, 1979
- M.S., Georgia Institute of Technology, 1977
- B.S., Bombay University, 1975
- Optimization I & II
- Integer Programming
- Graph Theory and Network Flows
- Advanced Topics in Mathematical Programming
- Sherali, H. D., Hill, J. M., McCrea, M. V. and Trani, A. A. Integrating Slot-Exchange, Safety, Capacity, and Equity Mechanisms within an Airspace Flow Program, Transportation Science, Vol. 45, No. 2, pp. 271-284, 2011.
- Sherali, H. D., Dalkiran, E. and Glickman, T. S. Selecting Optimal Alternatives and Risk Reduction Strategies in Decision Trees, Operations Research, Vol. 59, No. 3, pp. 631-647, 2011.
- Sherali, H. D., Bae, K. and Haouari, M. Integrated Airline Schedule Design and Fleet Assignment: Polyhedral Analysis and Benders Decomposition Approach, INFORMS Journal on Computing, Vol. 22, No. 4, pp. 500-513, 2010.
- Sherali, H. D. and Smith, J. C. Two-Stage Stochastic Hierarchical Multiple Risk Problems: Models and Algorithms, Mathematical Programming, Vol. 120, No. 2, pp. 403-427, 2009.
- Glover, F. and Sherali, H. D. Second-order Cover Inequalities, Mathematical Programming, Series A, Vol. 114, pp. 207-234, 2008.
- Sherali, H. D., Desai, J. and Glickman, T. S. Optimal Allocation of Risk Reduction Resources in Event Trees, Management Science, Vol. 54, No. 7, pp. 1313-1321, 2008.
- Sherali, H. D. and Zhu, X. Two-Stage Fleet Assignment Model Considering Stochastic Passenger Demands, Operations Research, Vol. 56, No. 2, pp. 383-399, 2008.
- Sherali, H. D. and Zhu, X. On Solving Discrete Two-Stage Stochastic Programs having Mixed-Integer First- and Second-Stage Variables, Mathematical Programming, Vol. 108, Nos. 2-3, pp. 597-616, 2006.
- Sen, S. and Sherali, H. D. Decomposition with Branch-and-Cut Approaches for Two Stage Stochastic Mixed-integer Programming, Mathematical Programming, Vol. 106, No. 2, pp. 203-223, 2006.
- Sherali, H. D. and Smith, J. C. A Polyhedral Study of the Generalized Vertex Packing Problem, Mathematical Programming, Vol. 107, No. 3, pp. 367-390, 2006.
- Principal Investigator, National Science Foundation: “Integrated Operations Planning Models and Algorithms for the Airline Industry.” Period: 7/08 - 7/12.
- Co-Principal Investigator (with S. C. Sarin), National Science Foundation: “Primary Pharmaceutical Manufacturing Scheduling and Related Problems.” Period: 5/09 – 10/12.
- Co-Principal Investigator (with Y. T. Hou), National Science Foundation: “Cross-Layer Optimization for Video Transport in Wireless Ad Hoc Networks.” Period: 9/09 - 9/12.
- Principal Investigator (Collaborative Research with W. P. Adams), National Science Foundation: “Reformulation-Linearization Technique for Discrete and Continuous Nonconvex Optimization with Applications.” Period: 5/10 – 5/13.
- Co-Principal Investigator (with Y. T. Hou and S. F. Midkiff), National Science Foundation: “NeTS-Medium: Throughput Optimization for Cooperative Relaying in Wireless Networks.” Period: 7/11 – 7/14.
Have consulted or performed joint research with 33 companies, organizations, agencies, and institutions.
Dr. Subhash Sarin’s solution to “Traveling salesman” problem featured in ISE Magazine (January 2018)
Three ISE professors and three students won IIE Awards (August 2015)
Hanif Sherali honored with emeritus status (April 2013)
Virginia Tech engineers awarded $800,000 to improve radio spectrum usage (January 2013)
Virginia Tech engineers receive more than $1 million from the National Science Foundation to improve wireless networks (May 2011)
Hanif Sherali receives 2009 Alumni Award for Excellence in Graduate Academic Advising (April 2009)
Virginia Tech professor shares prestigious award on new problem-solving theory (November 2008)
Hanif Sherali of ISE appointed University Distinguished Professor (June 2007)
Sherali named to National Academy of Engineering (Summer 2000)
Virginia Tech's State Council of Higher Education for Virginia Outstanding Faculty Award winners (1993)