The Grado Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering (ISE) Academy of Distinguished Alumni is an honorary academy open to qualified living alumni (bachelor’s, master’s, and Ph.D. recipients) of the ISE Department at Virginia Tech. Its fundamental purpose is to provide a formal means of recognition of those alumni of the department who have demonstrated significant achievement in their career. Other criteria, as indicated below, also have bearing on a candidate’s appropriateness for the Academy. A major objective of the Academy is to increase alumni understanding of the ISE Department, its progress, and its growth, and to promote greater interaction between ISE alumni and ISE faculty, staff, and students. Nominations are sought from any current Academy members, Advisory Board members, or ISE faculty. Self-nominations are also accepted. Inductees are recognized at the annual ISE Honors and Awards banquet held typically in April each year.
Criteria for potential candidates to be considered include:
- Significant achievement and/or reputation, including the longevity and consistency of professional achievements, whether in industry, government, or academia. (Note: it is not required that candidates’ current professional title is that of a practicing industrial engineer.)
- Service to society, community, and/or country, including in leadership positions.
- Service to industrial engineering or a related profession, through the Institute of Industrial and Systems Engineers or other similar professional associations or organizations.
- Service to Virginia Tech and/or the ISE Department, including recruiting/hiring ISE graduates; involvement with department, college, or university activities and events; interaction with faculty and students; and philanthropy.
- Ethical standards.
- Being a living alumnus or alumna of the ISE Department is a prerequisite for candidacy. In very rare cases of extraordinary service to the ISE Department, one who is not an ISE graduate may be considered.
To nominate or self-nominate, please fill out the form below:
The 2018 Class of Academy of Distinguished Alumni honorees were acknowledged at our annual banquet held in April 2018.