Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
In the Grado Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering, we believe that a diverse and inclusive environment provides us the opportunity to learn from the differences and perspectives that diverse students, staff, and faculty members bring. Our differences do not divide us, but they make us stronger. We are deeply committed to creating a diverse and inclusive community so everyone feels safe, welcome, and appreciated.
The mission of the ISE Diversity & Inclusion Committee is to contribute positively toward the goal of inclusive excellence for the department, and its objectives include:
- To monitor and track improvement in the diversity and success of ISE faculty, staff, students, and alumni;
- To gather benchmark data on representational diversity of other College of Engineering departments and other industrial engineering departments; and
- To learn about inclusive excellence practices and processes and identify those we can implement in the ISE Department.
Within the ISE Department, we aspire to be a safe haven for all members of our community. While we acknowledge that there is a lot more work to be done, we are committed to build the capacity to have difficult conversations, where we can listen to each other and provide a space for all to grow.
We do not tolerate either overt or covert harassment which can include:
- Verbal accusations or bullying
- Deliberate intimidation, stalking, or following, whether in person or on-line
- Inappropriate physical contact
- Unwelcome sexual attention
- Advocating for, or encouraging, any of the above behavior
If you would like to share your thoughts, please reach out to myself, or members of the ISE Diversity & Inclusion Committee.
Eileen Van Aken & the ISE Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee (Chair: Myounghoon (“Philart”) Jeon)