Personal (Lab) website
Research Areas and Accomplishments
Main Area: Management Systems Engineering
- Fundamental and applied research on decision-making in organizations and complex systems with a focus on multi-level, multi-period, and stochastic interactions among and between agents and their environment
- Methods: Multiscale Decision Making: Decision Making in Complex Systems and Organizations Across Multiple System, Time and Informational Scales, Game Theory, Mechanism Design, Stochastic Processes (particularly Markov Decision Processes), Multi-Agent Systems, Behavioral Decision Making
- Applications: Healthcare Systems, Manufacturing & Service Enterprise Systems, Telecommunications, Technology & Innovation
- Assistant Professor, Grado Department of Industrial & Systems Engineering, Virginia Tech, 2008 - present
- Research Assistant, Consortium for Distributed Decision Making, Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering, University of Massachusetts Amherst, MA, 2003 - 2008
- Internships at various companies, including BorgWarner, McKinsey & Company, Hardigg Industries, Loyalty-Partner, BMW, Max-Planck-Institute for Physics, 1998 - 2003
Recent Courses Taught
- ISE 6054 Decision Theory
- ISE 4015 Management Systems Theory, Applications and Design
- ISE 3004 Industrial Cost Control
Selected Recent Publications
Please click a title to view the abstract.
- Henry, A., Wernz, C., 2014. A Multiscale Decision Theory Analysis for Revenue Sharing in Three-Stage Supply Chains. Annals of Operations Research. Accepted.
- Wernz, C., Thakur Wernz, P., Phusavat, P., 2014. Service Convergence and Service Integration in Medical Tourism. Industrial Management & Data Systems, 114(7).
- Wernz, C., 2013. Multi-Time-Scale Markov Decision Processes for Organizational Decision Making, EURO Journal on Decision Processes, Vol 1 (3), pp. 299-324.
- Wernz, C. and Deshmukh, A., 2012. Unifying Temporal and Organizational Scales in Multiscale Decision-Making, European Journal of Operational Research, 223(3), pp. 739-751.
- Wernz, C. and Deshmukh, A., 2010. Multiscale Decision-Making: Bridging Organizational Scales in Systems with Distributed Decision-Makers, European Journal of Operational Research, Vol 202 (3), pp. 828-840.
Selected Recent Projects
- Designing Multi-Level Incentives for Health Care Systems, PI, National Science Foundation (NSF), 2013-2016.
- Analyzing and Improving Technology Investment Decisions at Hospitals, Agency for Healthcare Research Quality (AHRQ), PI (with Co-I Rahmandad, H. and Slonim, A.), 2013-2014.
- Next Generation Data-to-Decision Methods for Disaster Response, Institute of Critical Technology and Applied Science (ICTAS), Virginia Tech, PI (with Co-PI Ramakrishnan, N.), 2012-2014.
- Order Fulfillment Process Improvement, James Hardie Corp., PI, 2013-2014
- Contract Analysis and Design to Leverage Probabilistics Methods, Rolls Royce, PI, 2011-2013.
- Hospitals and other Healthcare Organizations
- Gas Turbine Engine Manufacturer
- Building Material Manufacturer
- Telecommunications Service Provider
Key Professional Service Activities
- Institute of Operations Research and the Management Sciences (INFORMS)
- Decision Analysis Society (DAS), INFORMS Subdivision
- Health Applications Society (HAS), INFORMS Subdivision
- Service Science Section, INFORMS Interest Group
- Junior Faculty, INFORMS Interest Group
- Institute of Industrial Engineers (IIE)
Awards / Honors
- Teacher of the Week, Virginia Tech’s Center for Instructional Development and Educational Research
- 3rd Place, INFORMS Service Science Section Best Paper Award, 2009.
- Finalist, INFORMS Decision Analysis Society Best Student Paper, 2009.
- Graduate School Fellowship for Outstanding Doctoral Students, University of Massachusetts Amherst, MA, 2006/07.
- Eugene M. Isenberg Award for Entrepreneurship and Technology Management, School of Management, University of Massachusetts Amherst, MA, 2004/05.
- German National Academic Foundation Fellow (Studienstiftung des deutschen Volkes), 2000 - 2004.