Ph.D., University of Massachusetts Amherst, 2008
M.S.-MBA, University of Karlsruhe, Germany, 2003
B.S., University of Karlsruhe, Germany, 1999
- Methods: Multiscale Decision Making: Decision Making in Complex Systems and Organizations Across Multiple Organizational, Temporal and Informational Scales, Game Theory, Mechanism Design, Stochastic Processes (particularly Markov Decision Processes), Multi-Agent Systems, Behavioral Decision Making
- Applications: Healthcare Systems, Manufacturing & Service Enterprise Systems, Telecommunications, Technology & Innovation
Recent Course Responsibilities
- ISE 6024 Decision Making in Complex Systems
- ISE 4015 Management Systems Theory, Applications and Design
- ISE 3004 Industrial Cost Control
Selected Recent Publications
- Wernz, C. and Deshmukh, A. “Multiscale Decision-Making: Bridging Organizational Scales in Systems with Distributed Decision-Makers,” European Journal of Operational Research (in press).
- Deshmukh, A., McComb, S. A. and Wernz, C. “Agents as Collaborating Team Members,” chapter 7 in Macrocognition in Teams: Theories and Methodologies, eds. Letsky, M. et al., Ashgate Publishing, London, pp. 107-126 (chapter 7), 2008.
- Wernz, C. and Deshmukh, A. “Decision Strategies and Design of Agent Interactions in Hierarchical Manufacturing Systems,” Journal of Manufacturing Systems, Vol 26 (2), pp. 135-143, 2007.
- Wernz, C. and Deshmukh, A. “Managing Hierarchies in a Flat World,” Proceedings of the 2007 Industrial Engineering Research Conference (IERC), 2007.
- Enterprise Systems
- Service Operations
- Healthcare Systems
- Technology and Telecommunications
Key Professional Service Activities
- Institute of Operations Research and the Management Sciences (INFORMS)
- Decision Analysis Society (DAS), INFORMS Subdivision
- Service Science Section, INFORMS Interest Group
- Institute of Industrial Engineers (IIE)
- Decision Science Institute (DSI)
- Virginia Tech Chapter of Institute for Healthcare Improvement (IHI)
- Alpha Pi Mu, Industrial Engineering Honor Society