Ph.D., University of Massachusetts Amherst, 2008
M.S.-MBA, University of Karlsruhe, Germany, 2003
B.S., University of Karlsruhe, Germany, 1999
- Methods: Multiscale Decision Making: Decision Making in Complex Systems and Organizations Across Multiple System, Time and Informational Scales,
Game Theory, Mechanism Design, Stochastic Processes (particularly Markov Decision Processes), Multi-Agent Systems, Behavioral Decision Making
- Applications: Healthcare Systems, Manufacturing & Service Enterprise Systems, Telecommunications, Technology & Innovation
Recent Course Responsibilities
- ISE 6054 Decision Theory
- ISE 4015 Management Systems Theory, Applications and Design
- ISE 3004 Industrial Cost Control
Selected Recent Publications
- Wernz, C., Gehrke, I. and Ball, D., Managerial Decision-Making in Hospitals with Real Options Analysis, Information Systems and e-Business Management (in press), DOI: 10.1007/s10257-013-0230-3.
- Wernz, C., Zhang, H, and Phusavat, K., International Study of Technology Investment Decisions at Hospitals, Industrial Management & Data Systems, Vol114 (4), 2014.
- Wernz, C., Multi-Time-Scale Markov Decision Processes for Organizational Decision Making, EURO Journal on Decision Processes, Vol 1 (3), pp. 299-324, 2013.
- Vance, E., Xie, X., Henry, A., Wernz, C. and Slonim, A.D., Computed Tomography Scan Use Variation: Patient, Hospital, and Geographic Factors, American Journal of Managed Care, Vol 19 (3), pp. 93-99, 2013.
- Wernz, C. and Deshmukh, A., Unifying Temporal and Organizational Scales in Multiscale Decision-Making, European Journal of Operational Research, 223(3), pp. 739-751, 2012.
- Wernz, C. and Deshmukh, A., Multiscale Decision-Making: Bridging Organizational Scales in Systems with Distributed Decision-Makers, European Journal of Operational Research, Vol 202 (3), pp. 828-840, 2010.
Selected Recent Projects
- Designing Multi-Level Incentives for Health Care Systems, PI, National Science Foundation (NSF), 2013-2016.
- Analyzing and Improving Technology Investment Decisions at Hospitals, Agency for Healthcare Research Quality (AHRQ), PI (with Co-I Rahmandad, H. and Slonim, A.), 2013-2014.
- Next Generation Data-to-Decision Methods for Disaster Response, Institute of Critical Technology and Applied Science (ICTAS), Virginia Tech, PI (with Co-PI Ramakrishnan, N.), 2012-2014.
- Order Fulfillment Process Improvement, James Hardie Corp., PI, 2013-2014
- Contract Analysis and Design to Leverage Probabilistics Methods, Rolls Royce, PI, 2011-2013.
- Hospitals and other Healthcare Organizations
- Gas Turbine Engine Manufacturer
- Building Material Manufacturer
- Telecommunications Service Provider
Key Professional Service Activities
- Institute of Operations Research and the Management Sciences (INFORMS)
- Decision Analysis Society (DAS), INFORMS Subdivision
- Health Applications Society (HAS), INFORMS Subdivision
- Service Science Section, INFORMS Interest Group
- Institute of Industrial Engineers (IIE)
- Virginia Tech Chapter of Institute for Healthcare Improvement (IHI)
- Alpha Pi Mu, Industrial Engineering Honor Society