Personal (Lab) website
Main Area: Management Systems Engineering
- System Dynamics
- Understanding the dynamics of organizational capabilities
- Organizational learning in the presence of delays
- Systems understanding of public health problems including obesity, depression, and epidemics
- Estimation of dynamic simulation models
Identified mechanisms that lead to learning failure in the presence of delays between actions and payoffs. Applied simulation and field data to elaborate on dynamics of product development processes. Investigated the comparative benefits of agent-based and differential equation modeling in epidemics policy settings. Applied dynamic modeling to diverse problems from polio eradication to obesity, software business models, organizational learning, project management, maintenance, and systems engineering.
- Visiting Associate Professor, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2013 - Current
- Associate Professor of Industrial and Systems Engineering, Virginia Tech, 2012 - Current
- Assistant Professor of Industrial and Systems Engineering, Virginia Tech, 2006 - 2012
- Postdoctoral Associate, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2005 - 2006
- Research Affiliate, Avaya Corp., 2004-2007
Recent Courses Taught
- ENGR 5004: Systems Engineering Process
- ENGR 5104: Applied Systems Engineering
- ISE 5015: Management of Change and Innovation in Organizational Systems I
- ISE 6024: Advanced Topics in Management Systems Engineering
Selected Recent Publications (Past two years)
- Davarzani, H., R. Zanjirani-Farahani and H. Rahmandad (Forthcoming). "Understanding econo-political risks: impact of sanctions on an automotive supply chain." International Journal of Operations & Production Management.
- Rahmandad H, Repenning N. (Forthcoming). "Capability Erosion Dynamics." Strategic Management Journal.
- Fallah-Fini, S., K. Triantis, Rahmandad, H., de la Garza, J.M. (2015). "Measuring dynamic efficiency of highway maintenance operations." Omega, 50: 18-28.
- Rahmandad H. (2014). "Human growth and body weight dynamics: an integrative systems model." PLoS One. 9(12): e114609.
- Fallah-Fini, S., H. Rahmandad, et al. (2014). "Modeling US Adult Obesity Trends: A System Dynamics Model for Estimating Energy Imbalance Gap." American Journal of Public Health. 104(7): 1230-1239.
- Hall, K. D., R. A. Hammond and H. Rahmandad. (2014). "Dynamic Interplay Among Homeostatic, Hedonic, and Cognitive Feedback Circuits Regulating Body Weight." American Journal of Public Health. 104(7): 1169-1175.
- Fallah-Fini, S., H. Rahmandad, et al. (2013). "Connecting micro dynamics and population distributions in system dynamics models." System Dynamics Review 29(4): 197-215.
- Sabounchi, N., Rahmandad, H., Ammerman, A. (2013). “Best-fitting prediction equations for basal metabolic rate: informing obesity interventions in diverse populations.” International Journal of Obesity. 37 (10): 1364-1370.
- Ip, E. H., H. Rahmandad, D. Shoham, R. Hammond, T. Huang, Y. Wang, P. Mabry (2013) "Reconciling Statistical and Systems Science Approaches to Public Health." Health Education & Behavior. 40(1S): 123S-131S.
Selected Recent Projects
- Dynamics of Major Depression (Funded by National Institutes of Health)
- Implementation dynamics in chronic disease prevention (Funded by National Institutes of Health)
- Technology adoption decisions in health care industry (Funded by AHRQ)
- Dynamics of online communities (Funded by National Science Foundation)
- Factors influencing the structure of academic disciplines (working research)
- Diffusion of sustainable building practices (Funded by HUD)
- Modeling obesity dynamics (Funded by National Institutes of Health)
- System Dynamics Society
- Academy of Management
Awards / Honors
- CIDER Teacher of the Week, Virginia Tech, 2011
- Academy of Management Best Paper Proceedings Selection, 2013
- IATC “Bridges of Hope” award and scholarship, 2005
- Dana Meadows Award for best student paper in International System Dynamics conference (2004 and 2001)
- Best paper award - National Industrial Engineering Conference - Tehran 1999
- Gold Medal- International Chemistry Olympiad - Moscow 1996