- Ph.D., Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2005
- B.S., Sharif University of Technology, 2000
Research and teaching
Identified mechanisms that lead to learning failure in the presence of delays between actions and payoffs. Applied simulation and field data to elaborate on dynamics of product development processes. Investigated the comparative benefits of agent-based and differential equation modeling in epidemics policy settings. Applied dynamic modeling to diverse problems from polio eradication to obesity, software business models, organizational learning, project management, maintenance, and systems engineering.
Recent Course Responsibilities
- Principles of Systems Engineering
- Advanced Dynamic Modeling
Selected Recent Publications
- Sabounchi, N., Rahmandad, H., Ammerman, A. (2013). “Best-fitting prediction equations for basal metabolic rate: informing obesity interventions in diverse populations.” International Journal of Obesity. 37 (10): 1364-1370.
- Ip, E. H., H. Rahmandad, D. Shoham, R. Hammond, T. Huang, Y. Wang, P. Mabry (2013) "Reconciling Statistical and Systems Science Approaches to Public Health “ Health Education & Behavior. 40(1S): 123S-131S.
- Rahmandad, H. and Sterman, J. (2012). “Reporting Guidelines for Simulation-based Research in Social Sciences.” System Dynamics Review, 28(4): 396-411.
- Rahmandad, H. and Sibdari, S. (2012) "Joint Pricing and Openness Decisions in Software Markets with Reinforcing Loops." System Dynamics Review 28(3): 209-229.
- Rahmandad, H. (2012). “Impact of growth opportunities and competition on dynamics of capability development”. Organization Science 23(1): 138-154.
- Hu, K., H. Rahmandad, T. Smith-Jackson and W. W. Winchester (2011). Factors influencing risk of falls: A review of evidence in construction. Construction Management and Economics 29(4): 397-416.
- Rahmandad, H. K. Hu, R. Duintjer-Tebbens, and K. Thompson (2011). “Development of an individual-based model for polioviruses: Implications of the selection of network type and outcome metrics.” Epidemiology and Infection.139(6): 836-848.
- Zuashkiani, A., H. Rahmandad, A.K. Jardine (2011). "Effective and efficient asset management: understanding the dynamics of companies' asset management practices." Journal of Quality in Maintenance Engineering17(1):74-92.
- Rahmandad, H. and K. Hu (2010). "Modeling rework cycle: comparing alternative formulations." System Dynamics Review 26(4): 291-315.
- Fallah-Fini, S., H. Rahmandad, K. Triantis, J.M. de la Garza (2010). “Optimizing highway maintenance operations: dynamic considerations.”System Dynamics Review 26(3) 216-238.
- Rahmandad, H., N. Repenning and J. Sterman (2009). "Effects of feedback delay on learning." System Dynamics Review 25(4): 309-338.
- Rahmandad, H. and D. Weiss (2009). "Dynamics of concurrent software development." System Dynamics Review 25(3): 224-249.
- Rahmandad, H. (2008). "Effect of delays on complexity of organizational learning." Management Science 54(7): 1297-1312.
- Rahmandad, H. and J. Sterman (2008). "Heterogeneity and network structure in the dynamics of diffusion: Comparing agent-based and differential equation models." Management Science 54(5): 998-1014.
Selected Recent Projects
- Dynamics of Major Depression (Funded by National Institutes of Health)
- Implementation dynamics in chronic disease prevention (Funded by National Institutes of Health)
- Technology adoption decisions in health care industry (Funded by AHRQ)
- Dynamics of online communities (Funded by National Science Foundation)
- Factors influencing the structure of academic disciplines (working research)
- Diffusion of sustainable building practices (Funded by HUD)
- Modeling obesity dynamics (Funded by National Institutes of Health)
- Health Care
- Online Social Networks
Key Professional Service activities
Associate Editor for System Dynamics Review
System Dynamics Society Workshop Coordinator