Personal (Lab) website
Research and teaching
Identified mechanisms that lead to learning failure in the presence of delays between actions and payoffs. Applied simulation and field data to elaborate on dynamics of product development processes. Investigated the comparative benefits of agent-based and differential equation modeling in epidemics policy settings. Applied dynamic modeling to diverse problems from polio eradication to obesity, software business models, organizational learning, project management, maintenance, and systems engineering.
Recent Course Responsibilities
- Principles of Systems Engineering
- Advanced Dynamic Modeling
Selected Recent Publications (Past two years)
- Davarzani, H., R. Zanjirani-Farahani and H. Rahmandad (Forthcoming). "Understanding econo-political risks: impact of sanctions on an automotive supply chain." International Journal of Operations & Production Management.
- Rahmandad H, Repenning N. (Forthcoming). "Capability Erosion Dynamics." Strategic Management Journal.
- Fallah-Fini, S., K. Triantis, Rahmandad, H., de la Garza, J.M. (2015). "Measuring dynamic efficiency of highway maintenance operations." Omega, 50: 18-28.
- Rahmandad H. (2014). "Human growth and body weight dynamics: an integrative systems model." PLoS One. 9(12): e114609.
- Fallah-Fini, S., H. Rahmandad, et al. (2014). "Modeling US Adult Obesity Trends: A System Dynamics Model for Estimating Energy Imbalance Gap." American Journal of Public Health. 104(7): 1230-1239.
- Hall, K. D., R. A. Hammond and H. Rahmandad. (2014). "Dynamic Interplay Among Homeostatic, Hedonic, and Cognitive Feedback Circuits Regulating Body Weight." American Journal of Public Health. 104(7): 1169-1175.
- Fallah-Fini, S., H. Rahmandad, et al. (2013). "Connecting micro dynamics and population distributions in system dynamics models." System Dynamics Review 29(4): 197-215.
- Sabounchi, N., Rahmandad, H., Ammerman, A. (2013). “Best-fitting prediction equations for basal metabolic rate: informing obesity interventions in diverse populations.” International Journal of Obesity. 37 (10): 1364-1370.
- Ip, E. H., H. Rahmandad, D. Shoham, R. Hammond, T. Huang, Y. Wang, P. Mabry (2013) "Reconciling Statistical and Systems Science Approaches to Public Health." Health Education & Behavior. 40(1S): 123S-131S.
Selected Recent Projects
- Dynamics of Major Depression (Funded by National Institutes of Health)
- Implementation dynamics in chronic disease prevention (Funded by National Institutes of Health)
- Technology adoption decisions in health care industry (Funded by AHRQ)
- Dynamics of online communities (Funded by National Science Foundation)
- Factors influencing the structure of academic disciplines (working research)
- Diffusion of sustainable building practices (Funded by HUD)
- Modeling obesity dynamics (Funded by National Institutes of Health)
- Health Care
- Online Social Networks
Key Professional Service activities
Associate Editor for System Dynamics Review
System Dynamics Society Workshop Coordinator